Role: Witness Service Court Volunteer
What will you do?
- Support witnesses (and their friends and families) through the experience of attending court and giving evidence.
- Give witnesses and their supporters confidential support, guidance and information to make their experience of a criminal court more comfortable.
- Help witnesses cope with the emotional effects of giving evidence.
- Explain court procedures, legal terminology and decisions.
- Show witnesses and others around the courtroom before a trial so they are familiar and at ease in the environment.
- Listen to the concerns witnesses have, empathising with them, and advocating where appropriate.
- Help witnesses prepare themselves for a range of possible trial outcomes.
- Go into the courtroom with a witness when it’s allowed.
- Ensure that witnesses continue to get our assistance after court if they need it.
- Work as part of a team with other Witness Service volunteers and staff as well as liaising with court personnel.
What’s in it for you?
- Contribute to service’s aims of supporting witnesses within a dynamic team.
- Training, accreditation and continued development and support in the role.
- Gain valuable experience and development of interpersonal skills.
- Have a positive impact in your community and on people’s lives, the witnesses and their supporters.
And we’ll reimburse agreed expenses too.
How to apply
For more information about the role, click here.
To apply, click here.