One Walsall is an independent charity with a 30-year history of supporting voluntary and community action in Walsall. Following a recent major organisational development programme, we are providing support to over 600 not-for-profit organisations including charities, community groups, faith groups and social enterprises. Our aim is to support a strong and diverse voluntary and community sector in Walsall, and to inspire our communities to engage in local social action.
Our Development Team offer advice, information and practical support to organisations including charities, community groups, faith groups and social enterprises. We deliver support on a range of topics including business planning, good governance and legal structures, fundraising and marketing. We offer support through one-to-one support sessions, bespoke and group training and regular sector news bulletins. The team are arranged on a locality basis, with dedicated officer support for VCS organisations in each of the Borough’s four locality areas.
Our nationally accredited Volunteer Centre supports organisations involving volunteers, including charities and public-sector bodies, to deliver best practice in the recruitment, management and coordination of volunteers. The Centre also offers advice and information to people and organisations seeking volunteering opportunities, brokers volunteer placements, and helps to raise the profile of volunteering in the borough through events and communications.
Role of the Independent Director/Trustee
As an Independent Trustee/Director you will give your time alongside those who are elected from One Walsall’s voluntary and community sector membership, and assist in setting strategy, policy and objectives; making decisions; implementing and communicating decisions; overseeing financial controls and managing risk; and performing an ambassadorial role for the Charity.
As an independent member, you must not be directly associated to a One Walsall member organisation or another voluntary sector group within Walsall.
This is a voluntary role, however any reasonable out of pocket expenses will be reimbursed.
All Director/Trustees are expected to fulfil the following responsibilities:
- contribute to the development of the charity’s strategic direction and overall policy, and ensure it pursues its objects as defined in its governing document,
- define the charity’s goals and targets, and evaluating performance against these,
- support the Chief Executive Officer and monitoring his/her performance,
- prepare for, attend and contribute to Board meetings (minimum four per year) and offer to work on sub-committees and working groups,
- ensure the financial stability of the charity including protecting and managing its property and to ensuring the proper investment of its funds,
- promote the work and success of the charity and safeguarding its good name and values,
- exercising independent judgement, reasonable care, skill and diligence,
- maintain an understanding and carry out the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of trusteeship under Charity Law and responsibilities and liabilities of a Director under Company Law.
Qualities of the Independent Director/Trustee
We are seeking individuals with experience in any of the following areas:
- Marketing and PR
- Data Analysis/Business Intelligence
- Property and Asset Management
Director/Trustees are expected to demonstrate the following attributes in their role:
- A commitment to the organisation, including positively promoting its work.
- A commitment to devoting time and effort to supporting the success of One Walsall.
- Sound and independent judgement on issues which support One Walsall’s ongoing development.
- An ability to think creatively and strategically, and in support of fellow trustees, to identify solutions to challenges and issues affecting the organisation.
- A commitment to working in collaboration with fellow trustees, a willingness to speak freely and to ensure issues are addressed positively.
- Strategic and forward-looking vision in relation to the charity’s objects and aims.
- Good, independent judgement, political impartiality and the ability to think creatively in the context of the organisation and external environment.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to respect the confidences of colleagues.
- Balancing tact and diplomacy with willingness to challenge and constructively criticise.
- The approximate time commitment for this role is one day per month, although this may not be spread equally across the year.
- The Board meets at least four times a year at our Walsall Office and Director/Trustees are expected to be attend all meetings. There is also potential for meetings within the Black Country and wider West Midlands region.
- It is important that Director/Trustees can visit the organisations office(s) and be available to the Chief Executive/senior paid staff members on a regular basis.
- In addition to board meetings, other contact – usually electronic or by telephone – will be necessary.
How to apply
To find out more, please contact Alex Boys, Chief Executive Officer on 01922 619 840 or firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also read more about our mission, values and activities at www.onewalsall.org. To apply please send your CV, along with a covering letter outlining what interests you about the role and how you feel your skills will meet the Charity’s needs to email@example.com Application deadline for this role is 5pm on 4th December 2018.
Documents to download: