Making Connections Walsall
Get Connected, Stay Connected
A friendly service for older people in Walsall that aims to address loneliness and social isolation
0121 380 6690
What is the Making Connections Walsall Project?
Making Connections Walsall tackles loneliness and social isolation by offering one-to-one support to help older people engage in community activities and build social networks.
Why addressing loneliness is important
“The most terrible poverty is loneliness, and the feeling of being unloved.”
• Is more harmful than smoking 15 cigarettes per day
• Is more harmful than inactivity and obesity
• Increases the risk of depression
• Increases the risk of dementia
• Increases reliance on health and social care services
The importance of strong social networks, access to friends and family, and an active social life should not be underestimated. Those who lead happy and active social lives enjoy improved health and well-being than those who do not.
How does it work?
There are lots of groups, organisations and clubs in Walsall which can support the health and well-being of local older people. However, people often don’t know about them. The social connector will arrange to meet you, either in your home or at a community venue in your local area. At the first appointment they will discuss with you the types of activities you enjoy and will help you identify activities and projects available in your community.
Who is eligible?
• People over 60 years
• Who live in Walsall
• Who are lonely or socially isolated
• This service is about helping older people build their social networks (it is not a treatment program for physical or mental illness).
Everyone is different so we will help you find out what’s right for you and then support you to access the right group or organisation.
How do I get a referral?
Anyone can refer you to us, including:
• Your GP
• Any other health care professional (e.g. practice nurse, pharmacist )
• Any other social care professional (e.g. carer)
• Other public sector workers (e.g. fire services)
• You can self-refer
People accessing this service will be offered the opportunity to have a Safe and Well Visit if they have not previously had one.
How to Self-Refer Telephone: 0121 380 6690 Quote reference No. 3144
If you are a community group who would like to receive referrals from Making Connections Walsall, call us on 01922 653747 or contact us by email via: MCW@walsall.gov.uk
How will my information be used? The information you provide will be used to identify your social needs and help connect you to new groups and social activities. The Making Connections Walsall (MCW) consortium of services stores the personal data you provide. Your data will be used for providing you with the service you have requested and for the purpose of evaluation. *Personal data will be held and processed in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998. Your consent is required to access this service. If referring on behalf of someone else please ensure you have their consent prior to making this referral.
- To make a professional referral please use the referral form available here – Making Connections Walsall Professional Referral Form Final
- Please find service flyer leaflet available here – Making Connections Walsall Service Flyer
- To self refer please call: 0121 380 6690